Sunday, August 2, 2009

Oskanyan's interviews, past and present, and the new Eclipse

Despite not having an actual debate with Shahnazaryan, as I had hoped, Oskanyan did give an interview to Azatutyun earlier today. It is in three parts (part 1, 2, 3). Below is part 3, because it has my favorite bit.

The interviewer, Anna Israelyan, asks a very pointed question at 3:27 minutes, about March 1. She asks Oskanyan if he might not now be trying to cast his original viewpoints in a different light? Not only that, but she even points at that she watched his videos on YouTube closely, and she did not see tears in his eyes. His response (paraphrased):
Absolutely not (regarding the changing of viewpoints). That day I had nothing to gain or lose. That day I took upon myself a greater responsibility, than is expected of a Foreign Minister, because I felt the danger, it was with that sense of responsibility that I gave that press conference... It would have been very easy to refuse to give the press conference, but that would not have been responsible. And its too bad that the other political figures-- especially those who were the core players that day, from both sides-- did not take upon themselves the responsibility that I took upon myself. I am convinced that if they had all done everything they could have, done their part, then one of the blackest days in our people's history would have been avoided. But that wasn't done, and that is truly a pity. But my conscience is clear, in that I, at least, did my part... It didn't work. But, I feel comfortable that I stood in front of our people, and called for both the authorities and the opposition to sit and talk and try to solve things through negotation. [Israelyan interrupts and says something unclear] You know, my press conference was around 6pm, the first shot was at 9pm, maybe there was still the possibility, but no one listened... But I will repeat again, but if everyone among us had taken responsibility as I did, and done everything they could have, it would have been possible to avoid... And whether you saw tears in my eyes or not is not important, because I have expressed what I felt, I was barely holding back my tears, because it was an emotional day, there was a real feeling of responsibility... and it is very sad that the call wasn't heard, and that which has already turned into one of our blackest days in history occurred...

So somehow, though it was more responsibility than a usual Foreign Minister takes on, Oskanyan was chosen to do the Press Conference - that could imply that he was somehow more involved, no? And he could have refused to give the conference when Kocharyan asked him to do it, it would have been easy, apparently. My guess is, its hard to say no in that situation. Regardless of whether he had to do it or not, as he has pointed out, individuals and regimes are responsible for their statements and actions...
I just wish he weren't so self-effacive...

But, let's take a look at that main press conference Oskanyan gave back on that day in March, 2008. Oskanyan spoke in place of Kocharyan. When I say in place of, I mean, he actually said, at the beginning of the Press Conference video, "I know you were expecting the President of the Republic [Kocharyan], he is very busy in meetings, and he asked that I would give this press conference..." Watch the videos of his press conference here [Part 1, 2, 3]. In these videos, he warns against a possible State of Emergency, justifies a possible State of Emergency, denies the existence of the de facto house arrest of LTP, and states that what has happened to LTP was for his own safety.
For those who don't understand Armenian, he also gave a brief interview to RussiaToday, in English, where he specifically states that the State of Emergency was "necessary," and the "developments were unexpected." There are more videos on YouTube, especially under MFAArmenia.

He's not trying to shed a new light on old comments, he's trying to create a whole eclipse...

No comments: