Thursday, November 5, 2009

Serzh, jan?... Bazaz, jan? - No, it's Nikol, jan...

Watching the trials of the other political prisoners, I learned that the courts in Armenia have a much more personal nature that those I am used to seeing. Having the defendant be an active part of their own defense (e.g. Jhangiryan) and an active part of the evolving courtroom dynamic (e.g. the trial of the seven), is something I quickly became accustomed to. So maybe the bit on a1plus of Pashinyan's trial from the other day was just another manifestation of the same.
Pashinyan is asking the witness some questions himself - people moved forward, why did they stop where they did, he asks? He gently and warmly persists in trying to get an answer. And the witness answers "Nikol, jan [dear], it was two years ago, I can't remember those details."
She turns directly to Pashinyan and says, Nikol, jan,... she is sincere, and upset, but she doesn't seem to blame Pashinyan...
She does not give an answer to the judge (who was also guiding her to answer the question) of: I don't know, or I don't remember; she does not show anger towards the person asking the question, which would be easiest; nor does she say I don't know, or, Why or how would I remember that...

Now maybe this is just part of a different dynamic that exists as a norm in the court system in Armenia. But that familiarity, that comfort, is not something I can imagine a witness feeling toward someone whom they do not trust... I cannot imagine that during Serzh Sargsyan's trial one day, someone will say, Serzh, jan... or Bazaz, jan,... Robert, jan...

[start at 1:21 min]

No comments: